John Nichel wrote:

Hi List,

I'm looking for people who have experience with the carts listed below to solicit your opinion on said cart. My boss is looking to put something in place, and while I am evaluating these carts, I'm hoping y'all can point out some pluses and minuses that I'm not going to see by not running them in a day to day production environment.

osCommerce (http://www.oscommerce.com)- Boss likes this one, but I have issues with it's possible security bugs, and the overall design (lack of) of the code

xCart - (http://www.x-cart.com) - I'm leaning towards this one so far

SquirrelCart (http://squirrelcart.com) - Just starting my eval on this one

ViperCart (http://advanticsdevelopment.net) - Haven't dug into this one yet.

All of them use MySQL 3.x, whereas we're using MySQL 4.x, so if any of you have rewritten the queries for any of these carts to take advantage of the MySQL 4.x features, I would like to hear your (horror) stories. Any security issues you have seen with the above carts will also be very helpful (like osCommerce requiring register_globals to be turned on). TIA

My company bought Squirrelcart before I was hired and we had two developers working on adding things to it and it was PAINFUL. It's cheap and you get what you pay for. I just wrote a new cart for our website (took me approximately a month of full time work) and I'm much happier with it. Of course, we also needed ONLY a cart, not a storefront. If you need a storefront as well, there should be *something* out there that does what you want.

--
paperCrane <Justin Patrin>