> Rob Paxon <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    on Monday, March 15, 2004 9:24 PM said:
>
>> Bear with me while I dish out some details.  My question concerns the
>> efficiency of using multiple file includes versus storing segments of
>> data in one include as arrays or functions.
>
> have you considered the size of your includes? maybe cutting the size
> down by splitting them into more concise files would help? in this way
> you could more precisely include what you needed and leave the rest
> out.

Sometimes having less included files with more content is more efficient
than having a lot of small files, an example would be making a seperate
include for each function, this has its advantages especially in smarty's
case but can be inefficient because you must fetch each file from disk which
has overhead.

I'd suggest profiling your code, use the PEAR Benchmark class and use PHP's
memory usage functions to determine what parts of your code are consuming
the most resources and taking the longest amount of time to execute, then
try some experiments and profile each experiment to determine the most
efficient solution.

Different versions of PHP, different application frameworks, and
applications in general will respond to optimization techniques differently,
for example there is little sense in spending 40 hours optimizing variable
usage in a program to increase performance when 75% of the program is
database server bound, your time would be better spent optimizing the SQL.

In my commericial websites I have modified my application framework not to
connect to the database, start output buffering, start the session and do
other overhead if specific constants are declared.  For example if I have
contact.php that does some mailing stuff and requires Smarty I can define
TEMPLATE_ONLY and only templating related files will be included and
initialized.

Doing this optmization made pages roughly 50% faster that did not require
session or a database connection and also reduces the load on the sql server
because you are not connecting unless you actually need the connection and
still benefit from having a single connection call instead of connecting in
each function or file.