On 18 Mar 2004 Cameron B. Prince wrote:

> I'm sure this is good to know because it proves at least part of PHP can
> reach the other machine... Which hopefully rules out a TCP/IP problem. I'm
> going to enable debugging on the MySQL server and see if that tells me
> anything.

Ah, that's good.  Then it is just a problem of MySQL.

Have you tried accessing a remote machine running MySQL 3.2x instead of
4.0?  That seems like an obvious potential culprit.

Note that the standard MySQL extension carries this note:

    This MySQL extension will not work with MySQL versions greater
    than 4.1.0. For that, use MySQLi.

--
Tom