Use that code, $avail just isn't evaluating to 'n' so try this somewhere
above it :

  $avail = 'n';

And it will be checked otherwise it won't.  And btw, you tried setting
value="n" that won't work unless this script submits to itself AND the
user checks it before submitting so it'll remain checked.

What are you wanting to do and where does $avail originally come from?

Regards,

Philip