what setup do you have?  assuming mysql and just starting out :

learn a few basics :
  http://devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/PHP101_1/ (part 1 of 5)

know about strings :
  http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/using-strings.php

nail down some sql :
  http://www.sqlcourse.com/

interact thy mysql :
  http://devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/DB_Basics/

realize that these are ways to do it, not thee only way.  you may enjoy
this too :

  http://viewcvs.php.net/viewcvs.cgi/php4/pear/CODING_STANDARDS?rev=1.5

some good info in there.  the manual has very nice examples too!  also,
many useful sites exist out there, use google to find them. ;)

warm regards,

philip

.sig
       i google on odwalla