Matthew Oatham wrote:

Bit rough at the moment but I have come up with the following - it doesn't
rename the file using the new ID yet but I am more concerned about my method
for creating the new ID - can anyone see any potential problems such as
database problems, i.e duplicate keys, bad coding practices etc... cheers
matt

if(!empty($_FILES["cr"])) {
    $uploaddir = "cr/"; // set this to wherever
    //copy the file to some permanent location
    if (move_uploaded_file($_FILES["cr"]["tmp_name"], $uploaddir .
$_FILES["cr"]["name"])) {
        echo("file uploaded\n");
        echo(generateCrId(insertChangeRequest()));
    } else {
        echo ("error!");

function insertChangeRequest() {

    $sql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO dis_status(status, description)
        VALUES('status1', 'status1 description')") or die (mysql_error());

    return mysql_insert_id();
}

function generateCrId($key) {

$crId = sprintf("CR-%03d", $key);

    return $crId;
}

Looks fine. Just realize that you don't have to insert $crId into the database as you can just "recreate" it when you need to know the file name. You just retrieve the "id" and add the "CR-" to it.

--
---John Holmes...

Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/

php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals – www.phparch.com