From: Chris Shiflett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: den 29 mars 2004 23:53
To: Stephen Craton; 'PHP List'
Subject: Re: [PHP] What's the use in OOP?

--- Stephen Craton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've been reading up on object oriented programming in PHP for a while
> now and I just don't get what's the use in using it. It supposedly
> makes it faster, but I don't really see how in any of my scripts.

Makes it faster in what way? I'm curious to know what you've been reading.

Using objects is generally faster for the programmer and slower for the
computer. YMMV.

> What's the advantage of OOP anyway, and why are so many people using
> it now?

To really understand this, you need to use it. No one can tell you in one
or two lines enough information to explain the entire paradigm or even
convince you of its merits.

The one-liner attempt of mine would be something like:

It helps you associate data with functions that use that data.

There are lots of other things, of course. One method of learning about
this would be to take every OO term (encapsulation, namespacing, etc.) and
find a really good explanation of the term.

Hope that helps.

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/