John,

I agree with you but when I first looked at this I too thought there was some way of
doing this in php which might look more elegant. Seeing urls such as
www.mydomain.com/index.php?article_id=2&id=e5t28er647ryh362hy67eh4563yh4635 looks
fairly cumbersome and I'm sure I've seen something about problems with some of the
search engines where session id's are included in urls.

On seeing that the only way of doing this was to use frames I decided that the costs
of doing this probably outweighed what is in effect a purely cosmetic issue.

Regards,

Michael Egan