From: Aaron Wolski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 31 March 2004 15:16
To: 'Michael Egan'; 'John W. Holmes'; 'Will'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [PHP] Hinding URL{ot}[Scanned]

> On seeing that the only way of doing this was to use frames I decided
that
> the costs of doing this probably outweighed what is in effect a purely
> cosmetic issue.

Never ever underestimate the "cosmetic" factor when you are talking
about Usability and search engines.

For example, if you are developing an ecommerce site - you have to think
about your users/customers.

In my testing and research, I have found that a large percentage of
users will not bookmark URLS that look like:

http://www.domain.com?id=1232&subcat=32&prodId=165412

They will, however, be more apt to bookmark URLS that look like:

http://www.domain.com/shirts/white/flanel_button_down/

Why are users more apt to bookmark the latter? They make sense to the
user.

If you want people to come back to your site, bookmark your pages, and
forward pages along to their friends... you gotta think like they do.
You have to use URLs that make sense to THEM - not you.

Search engine marketing is another factor to usable URLs.

Just my thoughts.

Aaron