* Chris de Vidal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-04-14 10:30:53 -0400]:

<snip>
> So there are alternatives to what Smarty offers, but I also said "I just
> see them [template engines] as another tool."  It's a tool; use it where

I can't agree here.

Template engines (in the sense we're talking here - for separating
presentation/layout from application logic in web-like application
environments) should be much more than just a tool, they're better
should be considered as a fundamental component in the whole environment,
as well as the application server, the frontend webserver (httpd),
database/storage or client.

The W3C tries to establish its own template engine - XSLT - (probably
the most powerful) in the web. Of course its a little bit too
complicated and overdozed for many small applications and quite hard
to learn for non-programmers. So there're other, more simple,
template engines out there, i.e. patTemplate/pTemplate.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481