> Well, it does some sorting, but not quite what I'm after :(
>
> I've managed to get the list so that all the (sub) entries are sorted in
> the correct order.  Now its just a matter of finding the highest expire
> date for /each/ domain, and delete the other entries for that domain.
> So, in the end, all that's left is one entry per domain, with its latest
> expire date.
>
> Hopefully this makes it a bit clearer.

OK, so it's just the other way round - I see. Instead of deleting the entry
with the highest expiry date we delete all the others:

foreach ($foo as $key => $value) {

          $tempArray = array();

          foreach ($value as $subkey => $subvalue) {

                  // add expires value only to the temporary array for
sorting
                  $tempArray[$subkey] = $foo[$key][$subkey]['expires'];
          }

          // sort array by value descending
          arsort($tempArray);

          /* new stuff starts here */
          // remove the entry with the latest expiry (the first array
element)
          array_push($tempArray);

          // now unset all remaining/not needed entries
          foreach ($tempArray as $tempKey => $tempValue) {

                  unset($foo[$key][$tempKey]);

By the way, isn't there a way to filter this stuff BEFORE or WHILE the whole
array is created?

Regards, Torsten