Acutally, I've just worked out why its not working:

I have multiple <button> tags on the same page which all do different things
(edit/delete/new...). They are all called 'submit' (name='submit') and have
different 'value' values in order that the receiving script may distinguish
between them:

<button name='submit' value='edit'>Edit Item</button>
<button name='submit' value='delete'>Delete Item</button>

It seems that MSIE doesn't send the value of 'value' when the form is
posted.

Does <input type='submit'...> allow this sort of functionality?

Cheers,
Richard