I would like some advice on special/reserved chars in
strings, especially single quotes.

I am developing an application that requires using a
Name field in the url for navigation.  I have a case
where "Toni's" in the url is returned in
$_SERVER['PATH_INFO'] as "Toni\'s" eventhough the
address bar shows "Toni's".

I can easily add the code to stripslashes from the
vars I extract, but is the single quote the only char
that is an issue here?  Is this a server addition or a
client/browser addition?  The server has magic quotes
set off, so that is not the issue.

Secondly, what is best/favorite way to escape chars
for mysql?  I know that mysql_real_escape_string()
has been recommended recently.  But that brings up the
issue of magic quotes.  Would
set_magic_quotes_runtime(0) be a reliable way of
making sure my code runs with magic quotes off?

Thanks for your time,
Kathleen