Running on apache 1.3

session.save_handler = files
session.save_path = /tmp
session.use_cookies = 1
session.name = i
session.auto_start = 0
session.cookie_lifetime = 0

session_start() is included in the top of each page.

When I test session files are being written into the /tmp folder and the session variable is corerctly added to the url when moving to another page, BUT the sessions do not appear to be working?

I can set a session var on one page and display it there but when moving to another page the session var is no longer available?

If I look in the tmp folder a relevant sess_nnn file is there but contains no data. I've checked permissions and the /tmp folder is world writable and the sess_nnn file is owned by the web server and is writable?

Can anyone suggest what to test next or where the problem may be?

Thanks

Zac