Todd,

> Is there a way to specify a character set in a SMTP email?

I've found that SMTP is really, really very particular about how you
apply spacing and carriage returns when passing a content type header
from PHP. In the PHP mail() function, you want to add the content type
header like so:

<?php
$contentType = " \r\nContent-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8";
mail($toaddress, $subject, $mailcontent, $contentType);
?>

In particular, take note of the space before \r\n. Without it, the
content type header would not work. I had to do a lot of experimenting
before I discovered this. You may have to some experimenting as well, as
I'm not sure if all servers behave the same on this issue.

Hope that helps.

--
Yoroshiku!
Dave G