In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Greg wrote:
> If I compare a script using PEAR::DB with a script using
> standard functions (and which supports mysql, pgsql and
> sqlite databases), the script using PEAR::DB is 10 times
> slower than the other.
>
> Conclusion : if you want to use PEAR::DB package, you'll
> probably will have to use cache systems for scripts that
> may be request often.

I don't understand your logic.

Imho, you can only compare:
- A without caching VS B without caching
- A with caching VS B with caching

> Am I the only one annoying by this loss of performance ?
> Because this is a huge loss in that case !

I understand there might be a significant difference in performance, and
i understand nobody likes that.

But imho the real questions are these:
- What are the advantages of a Database Abstraction API?
- What are the disadvantages of a Database Abstraction API?
- Can we live with the lesser performance if we know we'll safe a lot of time
when we switch to another DBMS product?
- How likely is it that we are going to switch to another DBMS?

--
http://home.mysth.be/~timvw