> The reason for the two files is that My4CSS.css contains code that
> doesn't break Netscape 4 (people are still using that garbage) and
> MyCSS.css is the code that I want for decent browsers.  Just doing the
> AddType without changing the css files at all breaks things locally.
> Without a <?php in the file I think that whether it's parsed by php or
> not shouldn't make any difference -- but it does.

It will only make a difference if the HTTP response from the server is
different somehow -- contains junk, wrong headers, that sort of thing. The
only way to reliably diagnose such problems is to figure out a way to view
the entire HTTP response, headers and all. I use curl for this, but you
might not have access to a command line. The mozilla view-headers thing I
mentioned - I've never actually used it {{embarrassed shrug}} so I can't
help you find it, but there are many ways of achieving the same end.