hello everybody, I need help for using imap functions in php

I refer the imap functions from the book Professional PHP4
it introduces the imap server from telnet it to writing a brief scripts
it teach me that type "telnet localhost 143" behind prompts
and I got the right response from my imap server
I can fetch my email by command line and watch the correct content

but when I processed to the next step, writing a test PHP script for
connecting to my imap server....I got error
"Warning: Couldn't open stream {127.0.0.1:143)INBOX in
/var/www/html/imap_test.php on line 2"
I installed the imap module for php by rpm, this error seens but for
module include error, but it just can't connect to my imap server

I searched imap in php maillist, someone discuss that the first
parameter should expressed as {127.0.0.1:143/imap/notls} etc...
but i tried a lot of different ways..It still couldn't work

I didn't know to much about my imap server ..I just confirm that I can
use any mailing software to connect to my imap server for recesiving
mail correctly

query my rpms I got this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] yhvh]$ rpm -qa|grep imap
php-imap-4.2.2-17
imap-2001a-18

is there anyone could give me a hand?..I really confused...
thanx a lot~!!!!!

PS: I looking for imap functions in squirrelmail..I found that he
connect to imap server by fsockopen?!