I'm not sure of the exact term, but what I want todo is run a function
in a loop so that it doesn't wait for the function to finish and goes
ahead and executes the next in loop.

For example:

<?

for($i=1; $i>5; $i++) {

run_this();

}

?>

run_this may contain some long mathematical computations that takes a
while, but I want the script to go ahead and continue with the script
while the script computates...

or better yet, executes a shell script that runs in the bg, but the
PHP can safely quit without waiting for results of the shell script.
Any ideas?