Hey, I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but last time I used ImageMagick (5.5.7 - in my receipts folder, I just checked) for use with PHP under Mac OS X, I just downloaded a package from http://entropy.ch/ and installed it and life was good. I think it's still up for download. No messing with tar or anything else - just simple, straightforward GUI installation.

Also, fink ( http://fink.sf.net/ ) can install ImageMagick for you. Personally, unless you have special needs, I would say to go for the .pkg installed from entropy.ch, but whatever works for you.

As far as the specific process you're working on, if you really want _that_ installation, somebody else will have to tell you how to make it work. I don't know the specific process off hand.

-Galen