* Thus wrote Minuk Choi ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> I have a RedHat9 machine.
>
> I needed to have multiple MySQL installations, so I removed the RPM
> installation and did a binary installation of MySQL-4.0.20.  As it stands, I
> have the following installations
>
> /usr/local/mysql-4.0.20-webpage
> /usr/local/mysql-4.0.20-exp
> /usr/local/mysql-4.0.20-def

This seems a little odd. You should be able to use the same
binaries with different startup scripts. But if its working no need
to step backward and redo you're mysql installation.

> BUT, I can't seem to make PHP access these databases.  More specifically,
> phpMyAdmin-2.5.6 says

To get more detailed information as what is happening try this:

php -d display_errors=On \
    -d display_startup_errors=On \
    -d error_reporting=E_ALL \
    -r mysql_connect()

> cannot load MySQL extension,
> please check PHP Configuration.
> Documentation

solution 1 (recommended):
remove the php rpm and install from source. this can be a nightmare
since most *-dev rpm's wont be installed.

solution 2:
you're going to need to rebuild the mysql.so that it is looking at
the right mysqlclient. And change you're php.ini settings to the
appropriate port/socket

In theory you can do something like this:
 - download exact version of php's source used with redhat.
 - extract and issue the following commands:

   cd php-4.x.x/ext/mysql
   phpize
   ./configure --with-mysql=shared,/usr/local/mysql-4.x.x-webpage
   make
   su
   make install

This will make the mysql.so and should place it in the right place,
see the /etc/php.ini:extension_dir setting for the right place.

As for you mysql port settings see:

php.ini:
mysql.default_port =     ;set to mysql-webpage mysql port
mysql.default_socket =   ;set to mysql-webpage mysql socket

Curt
--
First, let me assure you that this is not one of those shady pyramid schemes
you've been hearing about.  No, sir.  Our model is the trapezoid!