On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 08:06:21AM -0600, Brad S. Jackson wrote:

> I've tested the ob_gzhandler with PHP 4.0.4pl1 and Netscape 4.76 and it works
> fine for me.  I don't know why some people have problems.
>
> I doubt it has anything to do with HTTP 1.1 and this can be tested by disabling
> 1.1 support in the IE advanced options.
>
> I think compression is controlled entirely by the browser sending an
> Accept-Encoding: gzip header and the server responding
> with a Content-Encoding: gzip header.  It's possible that the server is
> compressing with the deflate method, which I think
> Netscape doesn't support.

Well....

I never said that NS doesn't support compression. Using the
gzhandler works just fine with NS. The problem hower is a different
one. The page is shown perfectly, but when you try to print it, NS
'forgets'(?) to decompress it. _That's_ what's wrong. Another thing
is 'view source'. Then (I think) NS doesn't decompress either,
'cause NS then says that the document is 'Untitled' and no code is
shown _at all_.

And for the HTTP-thing I started.... You're exactly right! Painful
to see the answer on a question and notice that the answer is _SO
SIMPLE_. "Just go to Tools, go to Internet Options, go to Advanced,
disabled 'Use HTTP/1.1'". G, and then knowing that I've been
developping and testing for years now. Something so extremely
simple, and I just _DID NOT THINK ABOUT IT_. Anyway... I disabled it
and it makes no difference.

Conclusion (for now...):

HTTP/1.0 is not the problem, NS is.
Another lovely bug from the NS-services.

So....

This was a pretty useless try from me.
Thanks for attending me to the very basics of IE-testing (...)

--

* R&zE: