well, there are formats that have impressed me. The Mpg-4 format
which requires plugins all over the place is really amazing, from e-vue.
They also provide a plugin atleast for IE to browse the images.

I dont know if you can compress images outside the windows platform
however.

If your looking for supreme quality however, you would need to stay
away from the lossy formats and probably go for TIFF which is a great
format and is also supported by any major software. PNG however is
abit "strange", woudnt sendt PNG images to a publisher...

You could ZIP the TIF images on the HD to same space, you often
get good results on this. This would also make the downloads better
for the user, and since all the browsing online would use thumbnails you
dont need to waste CPU do depack the images, since you all users
can depack a ZIP file (thats the least you would expect from a user that
purchase a High resolution image).

Ive created such systems myself, and my sollution was another :
Plug in a new harddrive. We save the images as jpg, tif, eps, ai or whatever
the original image was created as, and create thumbnails at various
resolutions in high compressed jpg for fast browsing. Often I tend to
ZIP the lossless images aswell, but then again I dont need to since HD isnt
a problem atleast in my case.

Hope this helps.

Kim Steinhaug
There are 10 types of people when it comes to binary numbers:
those who understand them, and those who don't.
www.steinhaug.com - www.easywebshop.no - www.webkitpro.com

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]