This isn't exactly a PHP issue, but they seem to go rather hand in hand...

Right now I'm just running my own apache server on my computer and I'm
trying to protect my scripts using mod_rewrite. I uncommented all the
mod_rewrite lines in the apache configuration file and restarted it all. I
got no errors doing this, so I assume it compiled fine.

The problem is, I can put a rewrite rule in the httpd.conf file or a
.htaccess file but it never rewrites any URLs... For example:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/woot$ /beta

I tried that as a test in a .htaccess file and put it in my root C:\htdocs
folder. I went to http://localhost/woot but it didn't show anything, gave me
a 404. I went to http://localhost/beta and it showed exactly what it was
supposed to. I assume it's something I'm doing wrong with my code, but I've
followed this sitepoint article to the point pretty much. Any help here
would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Stephen Craton
http://www.melchior.us <http://www.melchior.us/>