> I have this script whereby I use the php function file().
> Just a quick question, do I need to implement file locking.

If you want to ensure that the file is not changed by other scripts while
you're reading from it, yes. Note that this is advisory only - writer
scripts will only respect the lock if they request a write lock. See
manual for details.

> if so, can I just use something like
>       flock( file("/path/file.ext") );

flock() takes a file handle as an argument, not an array of strings:

        $fh = fopen("/path/file.ext", 'r');
        flock($fh, LOCK_SH);
        // read from file here
        flock($fh, LOCK_UN);
        fclose($fh);

See example 1 in the manual page for flock for more info.