I'm trying to sort alphabetically a large text string filled with first and
last names separated by ",  "  That would seem to be a simple task, but
sort($txt) does not seem to work even when $txt is an array.

The code :

<?php

$OK= "Joe Blow, Sam Hill, Henry Forget, etc, etc";

$_SESSION['txt'] = "$OK";
session_write_close();
$txt = $_SESSION['txt'];

$names = explode(", ", $txt);
        foreach($names as $key => $names){

                sort($names);  //line 235
                reset($names); // line 236
                while (list($key, $val) = each($names)) {  //line 237

$sorted = implode(", ", $names);
return($sorted);

?>

I assumed this would work, but I get error messages (for every value in the
txt array) stating that '$txt' is not an array -- even though it shows up as
Array(Joe Blow, Sam Hill, Henry Forget, etc, etc). I'm totally confused here.
As you may gather, arrays are not one of my 'strong' points :>

Warning: sort() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in
/var/www/html/list.php on line 235

Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object
in /var/www/html/list.php on line 236

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in
/var/www/html/list.php on line 237

What am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated,
Tia,