Lots of ways to do it, here's one.

Convert them both to unix timestamps and subtract.

$nowstamp=mktime() ;

$result=mysql_query(SELECT UNIX_TIMESTAMP(mydatefield)  AS dbdate FROM
mydatabase);

$row=mysql_fetch_array($result);

$dbdate=$row["dbdate"];

$thedifference=$nowstamp - $dbdate;

//above gives you the difference in seconds.

$daydifference = intval($thedifference / 86400);

// 86400 is number of seconds in a day
// intval because I don't want partial days, just number of days
// $daydifference above gives you the difference in days

kind regards,

bill