On 01 July 2004 04:10, John W. Holmes wrote:

> Can anyone explain the purpose of PECL to me besides what it
> says on the
> web page (http://pecl.php.net)?

Besides what's already been said, it also decouples the release cycles of
the extensions from that of PHP itself.  An upgrade to a PECL extension can
now be released at any time, and the latest version can (theoretically, at
least) be installed against any recent release of PHP.  For extensions which
are chosen to be bundled with PHP, the latest *stable* version of each
extension will be packaged in the PHP release.  (This will also eliminate
the time-honoured cry on php-internals of "Will all extension maintainers
please commit outstanding updates so we can roll version so-and-so"! ;)

Cheers!

Mike

Headingley Campus, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]