Ok. It did not worked.  I had to create an empy dir.

Well, one problem.

Since I have users with ftp access and they host php scripts that
handle "file uploads".  The files are created with apache.apache and
are usually moved to the user's directory using move_uploaded_file.

Since the owner/gorup of the script would be foo.ftponly this would
fail due to uid differences.

How do I solve this ?  Change the user's group from ftponly to apache
and use the safe_mode_gid on ?

- rt