Christophe Chisogne wrote:
It seems you didnt search Google very long.

I did, actually :).

Simple google searches like
"number of sites running php site:netcraft.com"
lead to results on netcraft.com, by example
a "php vs coldfusion vs jsp" page [1] found via link
on the 2003/08 netcraft survey [2]

Yeah, I've seen that one, but I'm pretty sure that in the last 11 months a lot has changed. So a 2003/08 survey isn't what I mean with 'recent'.

Google leads me to Zend.com, who thinks (February 18, 2002)
"the number of web sites running PHP now exceeding 7 million" [4]

Hm, 2002/02 is ages ago on the scale of internet :).

But other sources provide more recent figures [5,6]

I found that ones too - of course. But this doesn't say anything about the market penetration, only about the apache-module-penetration. This is not the same: not every apache that has php as a module actually uses php and some websites use php without having it as a apache module.

Finding more information is left as exercice ;-)

Christophe

Thank you!

Bert