Thanks for the feedback.  As it turns out, the reason I was getting zero
data bytes in my UDP packet was that I had declared the packet variable
outside the function in which I was using it.

$packet = chr(0x01).chr(0x1d).... etc

function doSomething($x)
{
    // using $packet in here gives you an empty variable.
}

So I guess it was a very basic PHP language thing I was running into.  Guess
I've done too much Perl and assumed the variables were accessible in the
function. :-)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]