Hey, man, you dont look at this list too often, isnt it?
Some days ago I wrote about this.
Here is the message one more time:

You need the jpeg support. Shortly, do this:
(I will use my version names, so you can easyly
find something, if you find newer ones, it's your bussiness)

1. search the internet for:
jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz
gd-1.8.3.tar.gz
apache_1.3.14.tar.gz
php-4.0.4.tar.gz

2. unzip all files in a tmp directory (let's say /tmp ):
tar zxvf jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz
the same for gd, php, apache...

3. modify the 'Makefile' of the jpeg kit, to meet your requirements
(only the paths to be correct, as your are)
then issue:
 ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static
then
 make
 make install

4. modify the gd Makefile:
put there the your paths and uncomment the 'CFLAGS' line that
enables the jpeg support (something like CFLAGS -DHAVE jpeg)
then issue:
 make
 make install

5. now configure php and apache and compile them. it should work.
it took me alot these days to discover all of this..

I hope it helps.