What kind of problems could be happening server-side that would result in
PHP sessions randomly disappearing?  And, is there a way to log or track
this information?  Oh, and best of all, any recommendations on solutions?

I have a PHP / MySQL application that's been running at a host provider for
almost a year now.  PHP sessions are used to track logged in users, For
example, $_SESSION["UserID"].  If the UserID isn't stored as a session
variable, the user must not be logged in, so prompt them with a login
screen.

Most recent updates were made last week and everything has been working fine
until this afternoon.  Session data is somehow being lost.  It seems random.
A person will be logged in and navigating through the site when they
suddenly get a login screen.  They'll log back in and continue navigating
for a little while when it will happen again - sometimes within seconds and
othertimes within minutes.  Sometimes it won't even happen for 30 minutes
and then it suddenly begins to occur again.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or recommendations that I can forward to my
hosting provider on how to fix the problem.

-Ed