> The problem is that this HTTPS variable is not a standard variable
> that has been defined.
>
> Apache's SSL module will only set *a* value to HTTPS if in https is
> being used. The value it sets just so happens to be 'on'
>
> Windows servers (versions unkown) will set 'on' or  'off.
>
> Other servers will use either 'on' or 'ON', with or without
> corresponding 'off' or 'OFF'.

Thanks for the explanation! I understand now why it works on windows and not
linux and to the comment of "Who cares what happens on a Windows box?" I do.
This script needs to be cross platform usuable. Its no good using code that
defects on different operating system. Now someones explained i can work
arround it.

Jamie