Burhan Khalid wrote:

Is there an alternative free (free as in 'beer') IDE rather than Zend that I can use to track variables, analize code and so like? I heard of bluefish, is it widely used?

PHPEdit would be my recommendation.
Although if you are serious about PHP, you should consider investing in Zend.

It should be noted that PHPEdit is no longer 'free' and while I still run an older version, it still has a little catching up to do.

While PHPEclipse has a little way to go, the Eclipse framework is working well for me, handling everything else like Javascript, style sheets, and PHP auto complete is working fine.
Yes Eclipse is a bit of a pig to set up, but on the other hand, once there, it has a lot of power. Just add one of the SQL packages, and manage databases, and XML fits in nicely as well. Just ignore all the Java stuff and you are OK ;)

--
Lester Caine