* Thus wrote Francis Chang:

> What is the proper way to "uninstall" the existing installation?  Do I just
> do a 'make distclean'?  Would that clean up all the libraries and the
> program files of the existing installation?

No, distclean only cleans up the temporary files in the source
tree.

If you didn't supply a --prefix option (or other special directory
location stuff) to php's configure, it generally will choose
/usr/local/ as the prefix. So you'll see most files that are
installed here:

  /usr/local/lib/php*   #config, pear etc.
  /usr/local/bin/php    # cli binary

And depending on your webserver setup (assuming apache) a .so file
here:
 /path/to/webserver/root/libexec/libphp4.so

Curt
--
First, let me assure you that this is not one of those shady pyramid schemes
you've been hearing about.  No, sir.  Our model is the trapezoid!