* Thus wrote Scott Fletcher:
> Hi, what is in your opinion is the best way to convert from JavaScript to
> PHP....  What I'm not entirely sure of is the
> "char_set.indexOf(input.charAt())".....  It look pretty tricky....

Sometimes a whole complete approach can be done:

> --snip--
>      var algorithm = 8;

// shift the contents over and add the shifted to the end.
$trans = substr($char_set, $algorithm-1) .
             substr($chars_set, 0, $algorithm);

$output = strtr($input, $trans_set, $trans);

If your $input string is of a significant length this will be more
efficient with the cost of some memory (strlen($trans_set)x2).

Curt
--
First, let me assure you that this is not one of those shady pyramid schemes
you've been hearing about.  No, sir.  Our model is the trapezoid!