Another way to make money on free software is consulting. Many organizations don't have the time, resources, or interest in adapting free software for their needs.

cheers,

Travis

Manuel Lemos wrote:
Hello,

"Rubem Pechansky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message..

I have designed and successfully prototyped a native Windows binding
for PHP. This binding is already capable of doing dialogs, controls,
and a lot more with very few lines of code. PHP can thus be used as a
tool for developing native Windows applications, so it can compete
with several much more expensive languages/environments. Go to
http://hypervisual.com/winbind/ for more details. This library will
eventually grow into a full-fledged IDE. I believe this idea has great
potential in the low-end market given the enormous installed base of
Windows users and the ever-growing interest about PHP.

I'd like to open the code source *and* make a profit at the same time
(although I'm not sure if that's possible), so I'm open to any ideas
or business opportunities regarding the large-scale development of
this product.

What do you think? Does this idea have potential? Would any serious
company be interested in investing on a project like this?

I think that once you have opened the source code, it is hard to make a profit just from its development.

On the other hand you can always open the source of the library and develop closed source extensions or tools that make the development of your library more powerful and useful so it will be an advantage for people to buy those extensions and tools from you instead of developing themselves.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

-- Travis Low <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.dawnstar.com>