Curt Zirzow wrote:

  $this->{$this->fname}();

  or (what it actually is doing.. )

  $func = $this->fname;
  $this->$func();

Curt

The point here is that the named function is outside the object. That is, $this->foo() doesn't exist, so $this->{$this->fname}(), does not work either.
But if you look at your suggested construct, I wonder why
$this->{$this->fname}() is sintactically correct while
{$this->fname}() is not (since we just striped out the prefix '$this->' which means that the function is inside the object).

Look for instance at a similar case when dealing with variable variables in arrays, this is what the online documentation says in this case:

"In order to use variable variables with arrays, you have to resolve an ambiguity problem. That is, if you write $$a[1] then the parser needs to know if you meant to use $a[1] as a variable, or if you wanted $$a as the variable and then the [1] index from that variable. The syntax for resolving this ambiguity is: ${$a[1]} for the first case and ${$a}[1] for the second."

So, I think the case is similar here

Clearly, $this->fname() means "call the object's method 'fname'", but
{$this->fname}(), would mean "call the function whose name is '$this->fname'".
I think, for the sake of orthogonallity, this feature should be added to the language.

Thank you.

Sergio.