Does anyone have any ideas as to why $_POST would be empty when
submitting a form to php?

I am running PHP5 as CGI in apache 1.3.22 on redhat linux.
I've also tried php4.3.8 CGI (same php configuration and .ini file)
and I get the same behavior.

When I submit an html form with method=post, the $_POST superglobal
array is empty.  GET works fine.  I've tried many different
configuration options with PHP but none seem to help.  I've tried the
default php.ini-dist config file with no luck.

I've gone through all the relevant bug reports and search all the
mailing lists, FAQ's and newsgroups.  I can't find any useful,
applicable information.

My configure command is:
./configure \
        --prefix=/usr/local/php/php5.0.0 \
        --with-config-file-path=/usr/local/php/php5.0.0/ \
        --with-config-file=/usr/local/php/php5.0.0/php.ini \
        --enable-force-cgi-redirect \
        --disable-path-info-check \
        --enable-safe-mode \
        --disable-short-tags \