Yup, i understand not in php 5, there was some large OO changes in php
5, which is why i asked about $this->year. Ive been using php 5 for the
last year, and havent had a problem with str_replace, and have used it a
fair amount for loading email templates.
So when you look at the source, the @@FISCAL_YERAR@@ is still in the
html lines?  str_replace did not do anything at all?

Jason