Curt and Justin,

Thanks for the ideas. I resolved this by removing the str_replace() call from within a function that I was calling and running it in-line in the code. Since the html string was less than 500 char it seems unlikely that it was memory but that's also about the only thing that would be different between prod and dev environments so that's the best candidate for causing the problem (php.ini set at default 8M). There were no error messages at all, the script would just end and the logs showed nothing at all, as if it was never even called.

Jon Bertsch