Hey you guys!

I'm a new girl at this, and wondering on a question that might be simple for
you.
Yesturday I started to learn PHP and proud I showed it to a friend of mine,
what I had learned.
The first thing he did was check the safity of it and very easy he found the
list over all the users of the server, f.ex.
I'm glad I didn't upload the new pages as frontpages yet =)
What can I do to prevent this and how can I build the pages safer than they
are today?
Perhaps it would be a good ide to learn basic Linux, I'm also considering to
buy another computer to use with Linux.

Greetings,
Marthe

-http://www.marthe.com (under construction!)