On 05 August 2004 16:36, Bing Du wrote:

> I really appreciate everyone who responded taking your valuable time
> looking into my problem.
>
> Now back to my problem.  Changing the condition to
> "if($_SERVER['HTTPS']
> != 'on')" did not make any difference unfortunately. So the result was
> still the URL in the Address box of the browser changed to
> https://computing.eng.iastate.edu/mambo/index.php?option=conte
> nt&task=view&id=159&Itemid=162
> fine.  But instead of showing the page that https address
> should point to,
> 'You are in HTTPS mode' was displayed as the else clause specified.

Right, you're obviously not getting this, so let's take it step by step.

(1) Your browser requests
https://computing.eng.iastate.edu/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=view&i
d=159&Itemid=162

(2) This fires the script /mambo/index.php on your server.

(3) Script finds all conditions in the first if() are met, so tests
$_SERVER['HTTPS'].

(4) ... finding it is not set, it issues a Location: redirect to
https://computing.eng.iastate.edu/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=view&i
d=159&Itemid=162

(5) Browser sees the redirect, and issues a new request for
https://computing.eng.iastate.edu/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=view&i
d=159&Itemid=162; at this point, it also changes the URL displayed in its
address bar.

(6) This seems to be where you are confused -- WHICH PAGE DO YOU THINK THIS
IS GOING TO LOAD?

(6a) Server sees new request, this time via https, to exactly the same
script as before, so fires the script /mambo/index.php again.

(7) See (3).

(8) This time it finds $_SERVER['HTTPS'] is set (or =='on', depending), and
echos 'You are in HTTPS mode'.

(9) QED

Which step isn't what you were expecting?

Cheers!

Mike

Headingley Campus, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]