I have a strange PHP problem.

I'm running Apache-1.3.28, with mod_perl-1.29, mod_ssl-2.8.15, and PHP4,
on a Slackware-based custom Linux installation.  Up until today, I was
running php-4.3.3, configured as follows:

./configure --with-mysql=/opt/mysql
--with-db4=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/ --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
--with-gnu-ld --with-bz2 --with-zlib --with-readline
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr --with-png-dir=/usr --with-tiff=/usr
--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6 --enable-sockets --enable-bcmath

I also have a number of mod_perl registry-object CGIs which use
DBD::MySQL to access a number of different local databases.  Up until
today, these CGIs were all working perfectly.

Today, I installed a PHP application which requires GD support.  I
therefore needed to recompile and reinstall PHP adding --with-gd to the
above.  So long as I was recompiling PHP anyway, I figured I should
update to the latest version, so I downloaded php-4.3.8 and configured
it as follows:

./configure --with-mysql=/opt/mysql
--with-db4=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/ --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
--with-gnu-ld --with-bz2 --with-zlib --with-readline --with-gd
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr --with-png-dir=/usr --with-tiff=/usr
--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6 --enable-sockets --enable-bcmath

Note that the only change is the addition of --with-gd.  After
installing php-4.3.8 and restarting Apache, all of the mod_perl registry
CGIs are dying at various points with SEGVs.  Each one dies in a
consistent way at a consistent point every time, but I can find nothing
in common with how or where they die.  If I disable mod_php4 and restart
Apache, they work perfectly again.  None of the affected CGIs uses any
PHP code.

I have tried recompiling 4.3.8 without GD support to see if the problem
is related to that, but has no effect.  I have also tried reinstalling
4.3.3, both with and without GD support.  The behavior does not change
in the slightest.  However PHP4 is compiled, if mod_php4 is not loaded,
the registry CGIs all work; if it is loaded, they all die.

Can anyone shed any light on this, and ideally tell me how I can make
mod_perl and mod_php4 work together again, as they were up until today?

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] : [EMAIL PROTECTED] : [EMAIL PROTECTED]