You could do something like this..

$cmd = "kill -r HUP /var/run/abc.pl.pid";
exec($cmd);

That should kill it and then restart it. You'll need to change /var/run/abc.pl.pid to fit into your system, but the idea of that line is to allow the script to get the proper PID, even if it's not what you expect.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to restart it with a given PID.

Matthew Runo
http://www.quabbo.com
Quabbo Internet Services
The only host with the Zend Performance Suite!