Hello,

On 08/13/2004 09:23 AM, Tristan Pretty wrote:
I'm sending out a mail, en mass to about 25 people, using the while loop from a MySQL query...
Anyhoo,
In the mail() function, if I use the final field for the From: attribute.
I'm having probs...
HAving:
..."From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]"); doesn't work on all recipients... BUT..
..." From: justaname"); Works on others... but not all...?
Surely this can't be? I've never come accross this before?
Any ideas what's up?

The From address may be irrelevant in most cases. If it is relevant in any case is because the recipient server has some kind a filtering facility.

What usually is relevant is the return path address. That determines where the messages that are rejected should be bounced, but more important than that, it determines which address is informed as sender to the recipient server e-mail address.

The way you set the return path address depends on the actual mailing system you are using. In some cases it is not possible to change it.

You may want to take a look at this class that comes with several sub-classes to deliver messages via different methods: mail(), SMTP, sendmail, qmail, etc.. You just need to set the Return-Path header with the bounce address and each of the classes takes care of making it the real return path address.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos