On Friday 13 August 2004 01:14 pm, Torsten Roehr wrote:
> James, have you tried with manually calling session_start() and setting
> auto_start = 0? If not, please try this.
>
> Haven't followed your previous thread so please forgive me if I'm asking
> something you already wrote. Are you using cookies?

YES

These are my current cookie related php.ini settings.

session.use_cookies = 1
; session.use_only_cookies  defaults to 0
; session.use_only_cookies = 1

> If so, have you tried
> without them by appending the session id manually to the links?

I tried that without turning cookies off and appending the SID to the
offending anchor tag (the one with javascript). Nothing I tried worked with
current php.ini settings.

I tried like this:

echo("\n <BR><BR><A
HREF=\"javascript:popUpBI('SESSION_TEST2.php?".SID."')\">THIS STARTS NEW
SESSION</A>");

Which gave me this anchor tag:
<A HREF="javascript:popUpBI('SESSION_TEST2.php?')">THIS STARTS NEW SESSION</A>

And like this:

echo ("<a href=\"javascript:popUpBI('SESSION_TEST2.php?PHPSESSID=".
$_REQUEST['PHPSESSID']."')\">THIS STARTS NEW SESSION</A>");

Which gave me this anchor tag:
<A
HREF="javascript:popUpBI('SESSION_TEST2.php?PHPSESSID=fae0cffb9f6c307e38aef7d2310e1d69')">THIS

STARTS NEW SESSION</A>

> Try these settings:
> session.auto_start    = 0
> session.use_cookies   = 0
> session.use_trans_sid = 0
>
> Put session_start() at the top of ALL your pages and write your links this
> way:

I tried with php.ini settings like you suggested and it didn't work at all.
Whatever you clicked on started a new session. Then I turned
session.use_trans_sid = 1 with auto_start and use_cookies still turned off
and my example code started working!!! My problem is that all my other real
world apps do not work with php.ini settings like that. :(

So it seems that the cookie part of sessions is broken somehow and my earlier
idea of adding something to url_rewrite wouldn't help even if I could figure
out what to add to it. Anyone have any other ideas. Can I upgrade to
something higher than 4.3.8? Would that mean upgrading to 5.x?

James Hicks