Hi Stephan,

On Monday 16 August 2004 15:16, Stephan Fiedler wrote:
> do I get you right, you can't invoke mail() because php can't find the
> sendmail executable?

Indeed you get me right.  As I said in my post, alternatives such as qmail,
exim, postfix and similar full featured MTA's in the chrooted environment are
considered not acceptable because of the extra security risk in the case of a
system compromise.  I have to minimise as much as possible the scope for
damage in case there is some kind of compromise.

Your script is nice, but seems to rely on a full MTA inside the chrooted
environment which I can't have.  I tried something similar where I opened
sockets on the external smtp server and wrote the mail into the socket, and
this worked.  The main problem with this is every script that uses a mail()
function call has to be changed, and given that there are a lot of people who
have and are supposed to be allowed to write such scripts on the servers,
it's far from an ideal solution, and difficult to make those people use such
a script.  Second problem is I have to be able to handle failures in
delivery, meaning implementing at least part of the smtp standard in a php
script.  It's all rather messy.

> If this does not help you at all have a look at the sources and hack 'em
> 'till they fit your needs #

I've been worried about this kind of answer.  Best, and I think quite a
sensible step, would be if the PHP team changed the design of PHP and allowed
*nix systems to use an external smtp server.

best regards
Markus