> > I can't get PHP to load php_mysql.dll, required to use the mysql_*()
> > functions.
> >
> > I have tried a variety of values for extension_dir, including
> > "C:/php/ext", "C:\php\ext", "C:\php\", "./ext/", "ext/". I have copied
> > php_mysql to all these directories, but it is not loading it.
> >
> > PHP is stored in C:/php, and works perfectly apart from not finding the
> > MySQL dll file.
> >
> > If you could advise me for how to get PHP to load this DLL, I would be
> > very grateful!
>
> This was just disussed a few days ago. Copy the libmysql.dll file **that
> comes with PHP5** into the windows/system32/ directory.

New installation instructions exist that recommend never copying any
files to the Windows system directory.  It's preferred to leave all files
in the PHP directory and make it (the PHP folder) available to the systems
PATH by editing the appropriate system environment variable.  People copy
files into the Windows system directory because it's in the PATH so no
additional setup is required.  Do not fall into this trap.  Add the PHP
directory to your PATH as doing so will make the world a better place.
The updated manual is as follows:

 http://php.net/manual/en/install.windows.manual.php

If setup this way the above problem would not exist, PHP will find
libmysql.dll.  A FAQ on editing the systems path is here:

 http://php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.addtopath

Regards,
Philip